Monday, June 25, 2007

A New Beginning

And so it is that three months after leaving the corporate world, I am starting on a new journey. Did I miss the one I left behind?

It has been a very emotional year for me. I had always thought I would continue with that career choice until my retirement – money wasn't bad, status was good, and I was working for a prestigious MNC that is a leader in its field. These I missed. I worked long and hard to get to the rung I was in. But there were the constant mergers and acquisitions, resizing and restructuring, conference calls at all times of the day and night, kaizens, lean management, sixth sigmas and all that guru stuff now so in fashion in the corporate world. Above all, the politicking. These I did NOT miss.

I didn’t really have an alternative plan - I just wanted out, to give myself some time to clear my head (destress), then really start thinking about what I want to do for myself – no more working for others (not at my age anyway!). Two people come to my mind – Colonel Sanders who started at 40 but only found fame in his fried chicken receipe at the age of 60 and Grandma Moses who became a famous artist for Hallmark in her seventies!

I searched the net for ideas and inspiration but never took blogging seriously till I read
Problogger's 23 Questions for Prospective Bloggers. I found the questions to be very apt and logical for anyone wanting to start a blog - not that I passed all 23 questions. Being the sensitive person that I am, I still need to work on getting that thick skin! But it did help me analyze my needs and personality and I believe I can actually enjoy this and keep communication lines open to the outside world!

Below is a poem which I found to be very inspirational when doubt arises so I thought I'd share it with you:

I CAN,

by Edgar A. Guest

Can't is a word that is foe to ambition;
An enemy ambush to shatter your will.
It's prey forever to a man with a mission;
And bows only to courage, and patience, and skill.
So hate it with hatred that's deep and undying,
For once it is welcomed twill break any man.
And whatever the goal you are seeking, Keep trying!
And answer this demon by saying, "I Can!"


No comments: