Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Natural Beauty - Feel Good Look Good

Yep, this is the title of my blog. Several things have happpened in my life recently that have made a profound impact on me. One of these is my mother being stricken with cancer for the second time. I believe everyone who's old enough would have experienced a loss of someone to cancer. I've seen several family members and friends succumb to cancer and in my frequent trips with mum to the hospital, I hear stories from doctors and medical staff on just how common cancer has become and how cancer knows no age barriers. This has set me thinking deeply about the lifestyle so many of us now take in stride - the stress, pollution, the food we eat and the cosmetics we slap on ourselves. As I become more aware of food labels, I am just amazed at the amount of foods we eat that contain preservatives, permitted flavorings, enhancers, and so on.

And what about the treatments we women subject ourselves to? I would be the first to admit to vanity and have even considered thermage treatment or going under the knife to reverse some of the aging process. Though I don't believe I will ever lose my vanity, I am beginning to see a different slant in my view. Just what is beauty? Why are we women subjecting ourselves to so much controversial and untested treatments just to make ourselves look good physically? I use the word 'untested' because while cosmetic surgeons will have us believe that whatever treatments they recommend is relatively safe, many of these treatments such as botox, radio frequency, laser, thermage, etc, are relatively new, so are we 100% certain that continued prolonged treatment holds little or no harmless side effects.

So after a lot of reflection, I have put down my own little definition of beauty:
Beauty is emotional, spiritual and physical. Beauty is natural, it starts from within our hearts and soul and we have to love ourselves for what we are and what we do. This is our inner glow. Beauty is good health which radiates through to the outer glow. Good health shows in our skin, our nails, and our hair. Beauty requires that we take care of our physical appearance and there are many natural ways to do this. Beauty is all of these - it is FEEL GOOD, LOOK GOOD, naturally.

No comments: