Thursday, July 5, 2007

Positive Thinking for Better Health and Beauty

Back to posting after a few day's absence due to mum being in hospital. She's out now but the radiation and chemo treatments have really affected her health. Mum's not a positive person to begin with. Actually, I'm sad to say that she's the most negative person I have ever known in my life and it takes a great deal of effort to get her to think optimistically (with very little effect).

She suffers from a host of ailments which I have no doubt are very real but I do believe that most of this is due to her outlook in life and her doomsday thinking. Anxiety and worry plagues a person and the mind does things to the body. She's been thru a lot in life so I can understand why she's like that but I also think some people are just more worriers than others. I feel I've inherited some of this trait so I have to work really hard to psyche myself to be more positive. When a problem looms, I start counting my blessings. I look at mum and much as I love her, I don't want to be like her in this way.

Sometime ago, in a conversation among friends, we got to talking about the most important lessons our mothers taught us. I thought of how my mother always encouraged me to dress adventurously (within decent limits) saying that you won't get a chance to do that when you're old (not entirely true). That's kind of funny seeing that she's so conservative. So I wore the miniest of mini skirts, hottest of hot pants, bare-back halters, midriffs, chunkiest of platform shoes, etc. No big deal these days but eye-raising in those times. But I think the biggest lesson is what she didn't teach me but that which I learnt from observing her and that is to THINK POSITIVE and that's a big step to feeling good and staying beautiful, naturally.

No comments: